|Funded Research Grants||Role||Duration||Sponsors|
|Improving the Durability and Extending the Life of Transportation Infrastructure. Regional University Transportation Center (UTC), (Pennsylvania State University-UTC Consortium)||Co-PI||09/2018 to 09/2023||US DOT-Research and Innovative Technology Administration|
|FRP and Timber Pedestrian Bridge Deck Design, Evaluation and Field Implementation||Sole-PI||08/2018 to 06/2019||WVU-Extension Service|
|Hybrid GFRP-Steel Wide Flange Beams||Sole-PI||08/2017 to 12/2018||Kenway Corporation|
|Evaluation of CFRP, GFRP and Hybrid Fabrics for Repair and Rehabilitation of Civil Infrastructure||Sole-PI||10/2015 to 06/2017||Neptune Research Inc.|
|Evaluation of Products and Techniques for Enhancing Mechanical Properties of Pavement Base/Subbase||Sole-PI||12/2015 to 12/2018||WV Department of Highways/Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)|
|ASCE ExCEEd Fellowship||Fellowship Awardee||12/2015 to 12/2018||ASCE|
|Field Implementation of Prototype Thermoplastic and Thermoset FRP Wicket Gates and Field Rehabilitation of East Lynn Lake Bridge with FRP (NSF: I/UCRC Collaborative Research: Durability and Life Cycle Performance of Pultruded & Infused FRP's for Infrastructure)||Co-PI||01/2014 to 12/2016||US-Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and National Science Foundations (NSF)|
|RP 299: Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) Research (Wrapping)||PI||05/2014 to 09/2019||WV Department of Highways|
|Project Title or Area||Sponsoring/Granting Agency||Duration of Award|
|FRP Green Wall Panel System||Mon County Schools, W.Va.||06/2011 to 12/2011|
|Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) Research to Determine Structures Where FRP Wraps Would be Beneficial||WVDOH||08/2011 to 12/2012|
|Feasibility of FRP for Structural Applications||US Army Corps of Engineers||02/2010 to 08/2010|
|Timber Railroad Bridge Pile Rehabilitation using FRP Wraps||WVDOT, State Rail Authority||06/2010 to 12/2012|
|Composite Materials Use for Railroad Infrastructure||USDOT, FRA||09/2010 to 12/2012|
|Evaluation of SPMS Building||Preston County Education Board||03/2009 to 06/2009|
|Evaluation of Gilmer Schools||Gilmer County Education Board||07/2009 to 12/2009|
|NSF I/UCRC||NSF-Industry||08/2009 to 08/2013|
|Thermoplastic Tie Development||FRA-USDOT||08/2009 to 08/2011|
|Thermoplastic Tie Development||FRA-USDOT||09/2008 08/2010|
|The Center of the Integration of Composites into Infrastructure||NSF & WVU||09/2008 to 07/2009|
|Field Installation and Monitoring of Modular FRP Panels for Pavement Rehabilitation||WVDOH-DOH||10/2007 to 10/2009|
|Field Monitoring and Evaluation of Railroad Wood Bridges Rehabilitation using Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites||FRA-USDOT||07/2007 to 02/2009|
|Evaluation of Composite Materials used for Railroad Infrastructure||WVDOT-DOH||11/2006 to 11/2009|
|MARCEE Project: Commercialization and Workforce Development in Polymer/Electronic Recycling Activity||USDOE-NETL||06/2006 to 05/2009|
|Evaluation of Composite Materials for Railroad Infrastructure Safety Enhancements||FRA-USDOT||10/2005 to 09/2011|
|Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement (CRCP)||WVDOH||09/2003 to 06/2009|
|Deployment of FRPs in Pavements||USDOT-FHWA||05/2006 to 02/2009|
|MARCEE Project – Recycling||USDOE - NETL||04/2005 to 05/2009|
|Development and Evaluation of Thermoplastic Composite Crossties||USDOT/FRA||09/2004 to 09/2006|
|Continuation of Research, Commercialization and Work Force Development in the Polymer Electronics Recycling Industry||NETL, DOE||10/2004 to 09/2005|
|Center of Excellence (COE)-Characterization, Evaluation and Implementation of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composite for Highway Infrastructure||USDOT-FHWA||08/2001 to 04/2005|
|Center of Excellence in FRPs - FRP Systems||FHWA||08/2002 to 08/2004|
|R & D in Polymer/Electronic Recycling Industry||DOE/NETL||04/2001 to 04/2004|
|FRP composites Applications for Non-Ductile Structural Systems: Short- and Long-term Behavior sponsored by US Army Corps of Engineers, July 2000||USACE- USDOD||04/2000 to 03/2001|
|Specifications for FRP Highway Bridge Applications: Acceptance Test Specifications for FRP Decks and Superstructures, January 2000||USDOT-FHWA||01/2000 to 04/2002|
|NCHRP Project 10-55, “Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites for Concrete Bridge Deck Reinforcement”||USDO-NCHRP||01/1999 to 10/2002|
|Development and Deployment of Second-Generation Composites Applied to Concrete Pavements, Grant No. DTFH61-99-X-00078, August 1999||USDOT-FHWA||10/1999 to 03/2005|
Organization and Industry Collaborations
- US Army Corps of Engineers
State and Counties
- WV Department of Education
- Monongalia County
- Preston County
- Gilmer County
- HDR Inc.
- HNTB Corporation
- Michael Baker Corporation
- Gannett Fleming, Inc.
- Alpha Associates Inc.
- Reichhold Chemicals
- Bayer Corporation
- Ashland Chemicals
- Tonen Corporation
- Owens Corning
- Creative Pultrusion
- Marshall Industries
- MFG Industries Inc.
- International Grating Inc.
- Hughes Brothers
- MMFX Steel Corporation
- Bedford Reinforced Plastics (BRP Inc.)
- Kenway Corporation
- Composites Advantage
- Star Plastics (W.Va.)
- Simpson String Tie
- Nepture Research Inc.
- SIKA Corporation
- FiberTech Inc.
- GrafTech International Ltd
- Gaiker Corporation (Spain)
- and several others...
Additional Project Proposals/White Papers
- Multiple Corrosion Protection Systems for Reinforced Concrete Bridge Components, FHWA- DOT, Aug. 2003.
- Development and Application of FRP Composites for Infrastructure, WVDOT-Research and Development Program, Sept. 2004.
- Design Guidelines for Durability of Bonded CFRP Repair/Strengthening of Concrete Beams to NCHRP Project 12-72, Nov. 2004.
- FRP Composite Homes for Reconstruction, HUD, Dec. 2005.
- Recycled Polymers for Structural Product Development and Application, NETL/DOE, March 2005.
- Specification Implementation: Qualification and Acceptance of FRP Highway Bridge Decks and Superstructures FHWA, May 2005.
- Development and Nondestructive Evaluation of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites for Highway Infrastructure 2005-2007, USDOT, FHWA, August 2005.
- Equipment for Characterization and Development of Advanced Composites at Nano level for Defense Applications, DoD, August 2005.
- Crack Evaluation of Concrete Sandwich Decks, WVDOT-Research and Development Program WVDOT, Dec. 2005.
- Connection Details for Prefabricated Bridge Elements, FHWA, June 2006.
- Advanced Composites for Blast Effects and Mitigation (Combating Terrorism-Technical Support Working Group), Homeland Security, March 2006.
- Prefabricated Panels for Pavement Rehabilitation, WVDOH, Dec. 2006.
- Use of Bio-Fiber Composites for Infrastructure and Automotive Applications, USDA, Jan. 2007.
- Evaluation of Different Joint and Anchoring Methods for Modular FRP Pavements, NCHRP- IDEAS, Feb. 2007.
- Next Generation Infra. Materials: Mechanistic modeling of Long-term performance, FHWA, March 2007.
- Modular FRP Panels for Pavements, Project Number: R05 (Modular Pavement Technology), Focus Area: Renewal, FHWA, Sept. 2007.
- Bio-Based Natural Fiber/Resin Composites, White Paper and its versions submitted to industries, Jan. and Oct. 2008.
- Blast Resistant Composites White Paper Submitted to FHWA and Industries, Jan./Feb. 2008.
- Curvilinear FRP Panels- Design Schemes for Structural Applications, White Paper submitted to Industries, Jan./Feb. 2008.
- Performance Assessment of Concrete Pavement with FRP/Steel Bars, Pavement Technology Division, FHWA, Jan. 2008.
- Application of Smart Sensors for FRP Composite Structures, NIST, 2008.
- Computational Structural Mechanics (Modeling and Simulations), ERDC, August 2008.
- Durability & Life Cycle Performance of Pultruded and Infused FRPs for Infrastructure, NSF I/CURC, February 2010.
- GREEN SCHOOL BUILDING MANUAL, Material Selection Procedures and Specifications for Design and Construction Manual, October 2010.
- Material Selection, Use, and Specifications for Design and Construction, Joint proposal with AECOM, December 2010.
- Field Monitoring and Design Development for CRCP With FRP Rebars, FHWA, Dec. 2010.
- Enhancing Durability of Civil Infrastructure, FHWA, Dec. 2011.
- Evaluation of Sustainable Materials for Pavement Strengthening, WVDOH, Dec. 2013.
- Durable FRP Composites for Structural Applications, WVDOH-FHWA, May. 2014.
- Harpers Ferry Building Rehabilitation (WV), NSF RAPID, May 2015.
- Durability Performance and Service-life Prediction of Advanced FRP Composites under Synergistic Mechanical and Environmental Loads, US NSF CAREER, 2016.
- Evaluation and Application of Advanced Basalt FRP Bars and Wraps for Structural Construction and Rehabilitation, WVDOH, 2016
- Center for Rapid Repair, Rehabilitation and Retrofit of Transportation Infrastructure (4RTI), DOT, 2016.
- Evaluation and Utilization of off-Specification Fly Ash for Enhancing Mechanical Properties of Pavement Base/Subbase, EPRI (Electric Power Research Institute) July 2017.